The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! And the heat just keeps on comin'! Expect temps to pop up to 102 tomorrow (!!) and 100 (!) on Saturday before tamping itself down to an only moderately sweltering 94 on Sunday. Take care of each other and yourself... say, with a delicious $6 boozy frozen cocktail during the Mercury's SUMMER OF SLUSHIES? Just a thought! And now... the NEWS.
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• That's not déjà vu you're experiencing, Portland police fatally shot another member of the public last night, making it their second fatal encounter and third public shooting of the week. Our Alex Zielinski explains what happened. (Oh, and don't miss her excellent tweet thread on why you haters need to button it when it comes to our honest reporting on the cops.)
I often see folks question why my reporting isn't as critical to members of the public who shoot people as it is to police who shoot people. Here's how I explain it: As a reporter who focuses on City Hall, my job is to look at how city-funded programs are serving the public.— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) July 28, 2022
• As previously mentioned, the National Weather Service is predicting excessive heat in Portland until Saturday evening (and perhaps into Sunday), and as such, cooling shelters will remain open through at least Saturday. Our Isabella Garcia has the latest.
Portland celebrates opening day of new bicycle, pedestrian bridge near Lloyd Center on Sunday https://t.co/Nx35Ky2Xre— The Oregonian (@Oregonian) July 28, 2022
• If you love the Pickathon music fest, you're gonna lose your goddamn mind this year—because organizers took their pandemic down-time to rework the already great location into something even greater. Our Jenni Moore has your sneaky-peek!
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Wishy-washy Democratic traitor Joe Manchin has reportedly agreed to sign back on to the climate/energy/tax package he had previously pooh-poohed after extended talks with Sen. Chuck Schumer—but only after the Dems agreed to lose billions in tax increases against the rich. But don't get your hopes up yet! We still have "Democratic traitor #2" to deal with... Kyrsten Sinema.
Kyrsten Sinema leaves Joe Manchin a quick voicemail from her safe place pic.twitter.com/suPZT2xQGA— Chelsea Pope (@chelseathepope) July 28, 2022
• Self-described "moderate" Republicans and Democrats (including Andrew Yang) are teaming up to form a new political party that they say will appeal to Americans with "common sense." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA... nope.
• Eight are dead and many more are expected after massive floods wiped out hundreds of homes in eastern Kentucky.
• Today in "good luck with that, shit-head": "Trump presses his claim of legal immunity from Jan. 6 lawsuits."
• And finally... wait... WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME??
When you thought you'd finished arguing with someone then hear them mumble something from the next room. pic.twitter.com/YYx72iOYSR— Paul Bronks (@SlenderSherbet) July 28, 2022