The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Enjoy this relatively cool day which boasted a mere 79 degrees. Starting tomorrow we make a slow climb back into the uppers-90s by the weekend. But now? Let's quickly climb into some NEWS!
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• There are two organizations in town doing their damnedest to make sure cops are being held accountable for their actions, while the third organization—well, they seem to think they're doing a great job, even though they appear to be fully in the cops' pocket. Find out more about the "citizen-led police accountability group" FIT COG and the measures being taken to make them more accountable in Alex Zielinski's newest HALL MONITOR.
What happens when a police accountability group inherently trusts law enforcement? Dig into the contradictory nuances of Portland's latest police oversight group in the latest Hall Monitor: https://t.co/vYgc0gwE52— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) August 4, 2022
• Oregon firefighters are currently battling no less than FIVE wildfires around the state with varying degrees of success.
• Here's a switch: A Hillsboro cop is currently suing federal immigration officers for profiling him, pulling him over, and then arresting him based on the color of his skin. (As well as allegedly saying some very racist shit.)
• Did you know it's officially tomato season? Which also means it's officially DELICIOUS BLT SEASON! And right on time, Andrea Damewood tells you where to get the most scrumptious BLTs in town—plus a recipe for making a perfect one on your own!
Hey brainy pants! 🤓 It's time for Portland's funnest trivia quiz, POP QUIZ PDX! This week: local "shadow" mayors, remembering Portland's filthiest fun bar, and which radioactive creature would YOU like to be bitten by? 🤔 (Plus win free pizza!)https://t.co/88tKLWJhZ0— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) August 4, 2022
• NOW sounds like the perfect time for one those $6 boozy, frozen cocktails your fave bars are serving up during the current Mercury SUMMER OF SLUSHIES! (Or maybe finish your work day first. I don't know.)
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• Four officers in Louisville, Kentucky, are now facing federal charges (for several crimes) involving the botched nighttime raid that ended with them killing an innocent Breonna Taylor. (The DOJ stepping in where local authorities failed is a BIG DEAL™.)
AG Merrick Garland announces bombshell charges against police officers involved in the search warrant that led to the killing of Breonna Taylor.— The Recount (@therecount) August 4, 2022
He says defendants "took steps to cover up their unlawful conduct" and "met in a garage where they agreed to tell ... a false story." pic.twitter.com/nEuvdkbJfl
• A Russian judge has sentenced American WNBA basketball star Brittney Griner to 9 years (!!) in a penal colony for smuggling a little weed oil into the country. (An obvious ploy to set up a future prisoner exchange with the US.)
• At long last, President Biden's administration has officially declared monkeypox a public health emergency, in order to free up funds to combat the spread (although that ship has already sailed).
Donald Trump’s lawyers are in direct communication with Justice Department officials as the criminal probe into Jan. 6 accelerates, sources tell CNN https://t.co/VOksApQGd0— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) August 4, 2022
• "Florida Man"/Governor Ron DeSantis has suspended a Tampa state attorney for the crime of saying he'll refuse to prosecute people under the state’s new draconian abortion law.
• Welp, looks like RIP for HBO Max: The popular streaming service will be merging with Discovery+ to become a new platform that frankly sounds pretty shitty. According to the new boss, the service will focus less on scripted shows (goodbye, Hacks) and turn their attention to blockbuster theatrical movies (hello, the 15th crappy Justice League movie).
What’s Joe Biden’s plan to save HBO Max?— Arielle Dundas — edfringe aug 4-9 (@ArielleDundas) August 4, 2022
• And finally....
"take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and you had me at grass, actually" pic.twitter.com/jOGDCIIACV— Paul Bastard Bronks (@SlenderSherbet) August 1, 2022