- Ryan Berkley's SpectaculArcade, on view at Grass Hut
First Thursday alert! If you're planning on heading to the west-side artwalk tonight, I've got some openings to add to your stroll.
Here's what a big night out might look like: Grass Hut is hosting local favorite Ryan Berkley in SpectaculArcade (pictured above); Benjamin Benjamin has robots upon robots in Short Circuit, featuring Eric Joyner's "Robots and Donuts" illustration series, and Paul Guinan's "Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel," which places Boilerplate, "the world's first robot soldier," in various moments throughout history; Weiden+Kennedy Gallery is putting on a sculptural installation and dance performance titled RE/ACTIVATE, "exploring the boundaries of planning and improvisation" (installation by Damien Gilley and Jordan Tull, choreography by Rachel Tess); Blue Sky Gallery will have a solo exhibition from Mary Ellen Mark, focusing on three bodies of work from the photographer— one documenting "a notorious street of prostitutes in Bombay," another, "18 of [India's] most lively circuses," and the last, a female-only psych ward in Salem, OR, circa 1975 (shot as a side project while the photographer was working on the film adaptation of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). And don't forget, the 22nd annual Reed Arts Week kicked off yesterday and will continue through Sunday— I'm particularly excited to check out Ben Wolf's "assemblage of discarded freight cars and boats from the Portland area," though there's a lot more to check out.
Locations, times, and preview images, after the jump!
- Ryan Berkley's SpectaculArcade, opening at Grass Hut (20 NW 5th Ave #101) from 6 pm-?
- Eric Joyner's "The Little Genius," on view in Short Circuit, opening tonight at Benjamin Benjamin (1720 NW Lovejoy) from 5-8 pm
- Paul Guinan's "Boilerplate with Pancho Villa," on view in Short Circuit, opening tonight at Benjamin Benjamin (1720 NW Lovejoy) from 5-8 pm
- Damien Gilley
- Damien Gilley, Jordan Tull, and Rachel Tess's RE/ACTIVATE, opening at W+K (224 NW 13th) from 6-9 pm
- Blue Sky Gallery
- Mary Ellen Mark's solo exhibition, opening at Blue Sky Gallery (122 NW 8th Ave) from 6-9 pm
- Ben Wolf's Assembly of Freight, on view at Reed Arts Week through Sunday, March 6