The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Remember when it was cool this morning, but now it's REAL HOT? (Yeah... good times, good times.) But here's the thing: You can mitigate that HOT with the Mercury's Summer of Slushies—$6 inventive, boozy, frozen cocktails from your fave local bars... and it's happening NOW. Don't let your brain overheat, cool it down with some slushies and some cool, cool NEWS. 😎
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• Patriot Prayer's Joey Gibson (and two of his violent, right-wing compatriots) completed their first day in court today to answer charges of inciting a riot at a popular anti-fascist hangout in May 2019. Our Alex Zielinski will have a day one wrap-up later, but in the meantime catch up on what led to this point with her informative explainer.
• Related reading: "6 members of white supremacist group appear in Idaho court."
Despite once being a unifying topic, Portland’s latest effort to change its form of city government is already facing legal challenges from Portland’s most influential business group and a former mayoral candidate. https://t.co/1suA3UAl5b— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) July 18, 2022
• A big day for America at the World Athletic Championships in Eugene—the USA! USA! USA! pulled in a whopping NINE gold medals yesterday in the hammer throw, shot put, pole vault, the 100-yard dash and more.
• Calling all trash collectors! Don't miss the latest edition of Elinor Jones' THE TRASH REPORT. This week: Elon Musk's weird family, Thor's meaty mouth, and... whoopee! Oregon's got a mosquito plague.
Live your best summer life this week at 4 Days of Aloha or the kickoff of Portland Mercury's Summer of Slushies, plus more not-to-be-missed events like Pod Save America and Portland Sketch Comedy Festival. https://t.co/MdJgtMTXGC— EverOut Portland (@EverOutPortland) July 18, 2022
IN NATIONAL/WORLD NEWS:
• The excessive heat wave that is sweltering parts of Europe (hitting a record breaking 105 degrees in Great Britain) is also causing devastating wildfires in Spain and France. Meanwhile, in America (parts of which are also dealing with oppressive temps), Republicans are doing everything they can to do NOTHING about climate change.
• Despite his attempts to delay it, human turnip Steve Bannon's "contempt of congress" trial began today and a jury of his "peers" (that's a laugh) has been chosen.
• The man who shot and killed three people at an Indiana shopping mall on Sunday has been identified, and authorities are cheering the bystander who shot and killed the shooter. (Note: When it comes to the overwhelming number of mass shootings, in reality these "good guys with a gun" are few and far between.)
• A judge in Charleston, West Virginia, has blocked the state's oppressive abortion ban, allowing the medical procedure to continue... for now.
• Welp, it's a start: "House Democrats tout bill to add four seats to Supreme Court."
• Today's Solar System Porn!
Hey @NASASolarSystem, ready for your close-up? As part of Webb’s prep for science, we tested how the telescope tracks solar system objects like Jupiter. Webb worked better than expected, and even caught Jupiter’s moon Europa: https://t.co/zNHc724h9X pic.twitter.com/tW9AT5ah6T— NASA Webb Telescope (@NASAWebb) July 14, 2022
• And finally… you got through Monday—let's do TUESDAY!
Nailed it..🐈🐾😂 pic.twitter.com/7uQPugKh8t— 𝕐o̴g̴ (@Yoda4ever) July 18, 2022