The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support!
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! The weather, she's being f'in tricksy out there with the gorgeous sunshine and foliage. RAIN IS ON THE WAY—could be raining by the time I post this blast—UNRELENTING RAIN! So put your phone in a plastic baggie, and let's check the news:
IN LOCAL NEWS:
• And so the strange case of Joseph Dibee approaches conclusion: OPB reports that the former Earth Liberation Front and Animal Liberation Front supporter has been sentenced to time served, 1,000 hours of community service, and to pay part of a $1.3 million restitution, regarding environmentally-motivated arson cases from 1997. The FBI apprehended Dibee in 2018, in Cuba, after he spent more than a decade on the lamb!
• When I said "snow lies" I meant snow unlikely to "overcome the influence of marine air."
Snow??!???!?!? https://t.co/a6gic3BfQ5— Lizzy Acker (@lizzzyacker) November 1, 2022
• There's just so much to Morgan Talty's portrait of a Penobscot family in his debut short story collection Night of the Living Rez. In this Q & A, he took us through the book's interlocking stories and experiments with time:
Ahead of this weekend's #pdxbookfest, we'll be highlighting a couple authors we love. First up: A Q & A with Morgan Talty, whose debut short story collection "Night of the Living Rez" was published by @Tin_House this past July.https://t.co/CuPPXMtyyF— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) November 1, 2022
• In this week's Savage Love, a reader noticed a red bump on her husbands arm. It looked like monkeypox, and when he admitted he'd taken the monkeypox vaccine without telling her, she about hit the roof! What does it mean? Dan unpacks the facts.
IN NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
• What is up with our bad boi Sen. Lindsey Graham today? For the past month Graham has been engaged in a game of telephone, filing various appeals to avoid testifying before a grand jury about interference in Georgia's 2020 election ballot count. WELP, the Supreme Court says he's not exempt, upholding a 1972 decision that declined to award members of Congress "super-citizen" status.
• And when it comes to the 2022 national midterms, it's like this meme, but it's the Democratic party:
I’m worrying, Darling!!! I’m worrying!!!!!! pic.twitter.com/wAuKCEFsKh— Papua Nu Metal (@killakow) September 6, 2022
• Speaking of the election, if you’re looking for some local voting guidance, check out the Mercury’s endorsements!
• “The censorship didn’t come overnight, it came gradually,” Russian reporter Olga Mutinova told the LA Times, in a piece published today about the state censorship journalists try to circumvent to report on the Russian soldiers who have died in Russia’s war on Ukraine. She and another reporter were arrested in September for attending the funerals of Russian soldiers in Ulan-Ude.
• Brazil's outgoing president Jair Bolsonaro, failed to congratulate—or even recognize—the win of his rival Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva in the nation's recent election. After nearly two days of radio silence, the Guardian reports Bolsonaro summoned journalists to obliquely comment: "Our dreams are more alive than ever." After that though his chief of staff Ciro Nogueira indicated they would begin the transfer process. Political analyst Thomas Traumann said he thought Bolsonaro's behavior was likely related to a behind-the-scenes effort to avoid persecution—for his handling of the pandemic, corruption, and spreading incorrect news reports that he knew to be false—once he loses presidential immunity.
• If you're just catching up on the Brazil presidential election discourse, the Washington Post made a funny TikTok about it, with Chris Vazquez in a shaving cream beard:
@washingtonpost Lula won on pledges to defend democracy, save the Amazon rainforest and bring social justice to Latin America’s largest nation. #brazil #sweetvictory #spongebob ♬ original sound - FanDuel